Oh, Phoenix, where is my System.Env?
The other day I realised that my little app would be better off behind some basic authentication for a while. At least until it’s time to pull the covers off. So I went around looking for a nice and easy way to add this. I came across basic_auth. And set about rolling it into the app.
In its most basic form, all I needed was to add a plug to the router pipeline:
plug BasicAuth, realm: “Under Construction”, username: “admin”, password: System.get_env(“DEV_PWD”)
Push, deploy, restart. And add the environment variable to the dokku config
dokku config:set myapp DEV_PWD=foobar
And restart the app.
But when I go to the home page, type ‘admin’ in the username field and leave the password blank, I am in. Bollocks. Is there something up with the basic_auth library?
Stupidly, but at the same time, educationally, I clone the basic_auth library and try to recreate the empty password behaviour in the test suite. But I can’t.
Let’s rethink the implementation. In the meantime, I went about cleaning up my code and pulled the config out to the prod.secret file. Astute readers (well, those who visit the last link) will notice my comment about looking for the “prod.secret file within the dokku instance”. Yep. I did spend some time grepping around the server, looking for a config file, forgetting that this is dokku, and I’m not meant to know about the file system.
Getting back on track, I now have a configurable username and password:
username: System.get_env("DEV_USER"), password: System.get_env("DEV_PWD")
And it’s getting worse. I can log in to the app without any authentication. Hmm. Perhaps I should go and read the github issues. How about the one I ignored about supporting runtime credential configuration. Surely that doesn’t apply to me, as I’m running dokku and the configuration tool always restarts the app.
But I’m also running Elixir / Phoenix and the app is compiled on deploy. Compiled as in compiled along with any environment variables. If I want to set / unset an environment variable, I have to recompile the app. A restart ain’t gonna do it. This is not rails.